For newcomers to Germany, health insurance can be difficult to navigate. While we always recommend getting comprehensive public or private health insurance, this isn’t always possible—freelancers from outside the EU, for example, often only have the option of signing up for expat health insurance. (Want to know why? Read more about it here.)
That’s why we’re so excited to announce our new Expat Premium plan! We’ve crafted this policy specifically with our customers’ needs in mind to give you even better coverage at a low price.
Dental, vision, and more…
The new Expat Premium plan is not only a significant upgrade from the Basic version—it also provides significant advantages over our old Advanced plan. So what’s new?
- Dental care: This plan covers up to €100/year for preventive dental care (e.g. cleanings), up to €200/year for dental check-ups, and has an allowance for dentures. It also covers up to €1000/year for pain relief treatments.
- Vision care: Covers €200/year for visual aids (e.g. glasses or contact lenses).
- Preventive care: Covers €300/year for early cancer detection (e.g. gynecological and urological exams), one skin cancer check-up a year, and standard health check-ups for children.
- Pregnancy care: Covers pregnancy check-ups and delivery costs.
- Digital health services: Covers two telemedicine consultations per year and gives a €5/month allowance for the use of fitness or digital health apps.
- Medical aids: 100% coverage for medical aids (e.g. bandages, splints, crutches, hearing aids, inhalers) as a result of an accident; up to €500/year for aids for a pre-existing condition.
Basic or Premium?
Are you still stuck trying to choose between Expat Basic and Expat Premium? Here’s how they compare on the most popular treatments:
|General Medical Treatments|
|Outpatient medical treatment||100%||100%|
|Inpatient treatment on a general (not private) ward (room containing several beds), excluding optional benefits (treatment by a private doctor)||100%||100%|
|Ambulance transportation for inpatient treatment||100%||100%|
|Medication and bandages||100%||100%|
|Massages, packs and inhalations||€300||100%|
|Aids as a result of an accident||€500||100%|
|Aids (insofar as Advigon has issued its consent in advance) per insurance year||Not insured||€500|
|Repairs of existing aids per insurance year||Not insured||€250|
|Visual aids||Not insured||€200|
|Travel vaccinations per insurance year||Not insured||€250|
|Preventative dentistry||Not insured||€100|
|Dental check-ups per insurance year||Not insured||€200|
|Dentures at 80% of the reimbursable invoice amount per insurance year||Not insured||€1,250|
|Medical check-ups aimed at the early detection of cancer per insurance year||Not insured||€300|
|One skin cancer check-up per insurance year||Not insured||100%|
|Medical check-ups for children based on the programmes introduced by law in Germany||Not insured||100%|
|Pregnancy treatment due to complaints||100%||100%|
|Pregnancy check-ups and childbirth||Not insured||100%|
|Digital Health Services|
|Two telemedical consultation sessions per insurance year||Not insured||100%|
|Use of fitness applications per month||Not insured||€5|
How much does it cost?
The new Expat Premium plan starts at €134/month. Please keep in mind that the actual monthly cost may vary if you have certain pre-existing conditions.
How do I sign up?
Signing up is easy! Just head to www.feather-insurance.com, answer a few questions, and enter your payment information to subscribe to your Expat . It only takes a couple of minutes!
I already have a Feather Expat policy. Can I have this one instead?
Yes! If you have a Basic Feather Expat policy, then you have the option to upgrade to our Premium plan at any time. Just get in touch with us through your Feather account and we’ll arrange it for you.
If you already have an Advanced Feather Expat policy, then you also have the option to get this new policy. If you choose not to take our new Expat Premium policy, then your coverage will remain the same.