2020 was an undeniably unusual year—and we hope you and your loved ones stayed healthy through it all. And with so much going on the last 12 months, you may have missed out on some important news that might affect your health and finances in 2021.
Lucky for you, we’re here with a recap of the important developments in German insurance this year—and to remind you of some things to look out for in the year ahead.
5 things you should know
- Digital health options are becoming more widely recognized and available. With the passage of the digital health law (Digitale-Versorgung-Gesetz, DVG) in November 2019, German lawmakers recognized that digital health is the future of healthcare. The law allows for public insurance to pay for a wide variety of digital health services, including doctor’s appointments by video chat and apps on prescription. All sick notes from doctors (usually required by employers for when an employee is sick for more than a few days) will also be delivered in digital form.
- Many private insurers are raising their prices in 2021. Rising medical costs mean that private insurers have to adjust their premiums for next year. And while the increase may be significant, government regulations mean that premium adjustments can’t happen very often—and they are generally in line with increases in the cost of public insurance.
- …and prices for public insurance are also going up as well. Public insurers are significantly increasing their additional contributions (Zusatzbeitraege) in 2021.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has taken a toll on mental health around the world, with some studies reporting a tripling of anxiety and depression symptoms Here’s how to access them in Germany.
- Feather launched two great new insurance options. 2021 was a big year for us—we not only changed our brand from Popsure to Feather, but we also are now providing great coverage with two new types of insurance. Our dental insurance will help you cover expensive dental procedures (and even some great extras like tooth whitening), while our legal insurance is like having a lawyer friend on call at all times.
And that’s a wrap, folks. We wish you a happy and healthy “slide” into 2021 (as the Germans say 😉). See you next year!